Avenza is pleased to announce that the PDF Maps beta for Android is now available. We have been working diligently to get support on Android and are pleased to offer a public beta of PDF Maps for the popular mobile platform.
The PDF Maps beta for Android app has the following features comprising those which we expect to include in the final release of version 1.0 for Android.
- Load Geospatial PDF, GeoPDF® and GeoTIFF maps
- Add maps from the file system, Dropbox, a URL, or email
- Show GPS position on custom maps
- Add Placemarks
- Import and export KML
- Find Coordinates
- Measure Distance or Area
- Open current view in Google Maps
Please note that access to the in-app Map Store, as found in the iOS version, will not be included in the beta release of PDF Maps for Android. As a result, maps must be loaded from the file system, Dropbox, email or a URL. The Map Store is at the top of the feature list for Android development and will be available as soon as possible.
We understand that PDF Maps for iOS has a more complete feature set and our goal is to bring you all the feature of the iOS version to Android. We will be adding features to the app based on priority.
To become part of the beta program, please follow the link below to register. As the beta continues we will be uploading new builds with bug fixes and optimizations.
What's new in PDF Maps for Android beta 5?
- Import placemarks from KML/KMZ
- Fixed georeferencing inaccuracies when maps require a NAD27 to WGS84 datum shift
- User Interface improvements
- Improvements to pausing map extraction and processing
- Optimized processing maps status messages
- PDF Maps folder is now created on the SDCard when the app is started
- Format extension is now automatically appended on the file name
- HTTP links using a redirect now work correctly
- Fixed intermittent crash when exporting Placemarks to Dropbox
- Export KML/KMZ to Dropbox improvements
- User is now prompted when deleting a map that contains Placemarks
- Map list will now scroll to the newly added map
- Fixed issues with Measure Tool not reporting values for some units correctly
PDF Maps for Android requires the device to have Android 4.0 or higher installed. We also recommend that users have a minimum of 1 GB RAM as processing some PDF maps can be very memory intensive. If your device is lower than 4.0 we apologize for any inconvenience.
Known issues and limitations:
- Device must have Android 4.0 or higher.
- Device must have 1 GB RAM or higher.
- If you are having issues processing a PDF, try using a GeoTIFF instead.
- The Avenza Map Store is not accessible yet.
Features coming soon:
- Attributes (data collection)
- Access to the Avenza Map Store
Your participation and feedback in this pre-release process is an integral part of ensuring a timely and bug-free release. As such we are relying on you to communicate your findings to us and help us complete the product and release it in full functional form as quickly as possible. Please use the link in the app to send us your feedback or email firstname.lastname@example.org